[INDOLOGY] scarecrow again [addendum]

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 06:06:39 UTC 2024

I was reminded that I had not quoted the Sanskrit passage. Sorry!
The servant who impersonates Bhiṣāyaka is described as *tṛṇacchanna*. This
is the relevant wording:

sthāne *Bhiṣāyakasya*itāv ādiśya svānujīvinam |

*tṛṇacchannaṃ* mahāratnaiś caitryāṃ pūjayatas sma tau || Jonar. RT 44 ||

The scarecrow function also seems to have been fulfilled by wooden figures
carved in the shape of birds of prey:

yat kārukḷptakoṇasthadārugāruḍamūrtibhiḥ |

trastāś caranto nāyānti pakṣiṇas tan nabho’dhvanā || Śrīvara RT III.175 ||

"When they get scared by the wooden figures of Garuḍa on the juts of the
[palace] where the craftsmen have placed them, the birds fly about in the
air [and] do not return there."

WS