[INDOLOGY] scarecrow again

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 13:12:44 UTC 2024

Dear Arlo,

> very literally the sense of bibhīṣikā/bibhīṣikā
I recall one proper name with a causative element of "scaring" (bhiṣāyaka)
- unfortunately not with mumaṇḍi/ mumaṇḍī - in connection with a straw
figure. The point is that a Yakṣa of this name was apparently the object of
worship in the form of a scarecrow. This is illustrated by a story of two
swindlers who relieved a naïve Kashmiri ruler (Paramāṇuka [1155-1164]) of
his precious jewellery by having a servant covered with straw take the
place of Bhiṣāyaka to accept this 'gift of jewellery' from the king and
making him disappear into the forest with it. This how the amusing story
ends:

"Today, you have satisfied Kubera by adorning him with a variety of jewels.
He gave you his blessings and then disappeared before the eyes of the
people."
[And that was not all:] the rogues thereupon caused the infantile, pitiable
ruler to make them a gift as a token of favour. In this manner, by means of
terrifying this weak king like a little child, the two bon-vivants
completely plundered his treasure  (Rājataraṅgiṇī of Jonarāja 41-47,
Pseudo-Jonarāja 1 [B 47-49]).

Best,
Walter