[INDOLOGY] scarecrow again

Robert P. GOLDMAN rpg at berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 7 20:41:06 UTC 2024

Dear Arlo et al.,

A little contextualization of Apte’s citation of  (Vulgate) Rām . 6.66.6 =CE 6.54.6  may be of interest in this connection. The context is as follows. Sugrīva’s army of monkeys, seeing the gargantuan and terrifying rākṣasa warrior Kumbhakarṇa advancing toward them, panics, breaks ranks and flees.  In order to rally them Vibhīṣana, who knows perfectly well that it is, in fact,  his brother Kumbhakarṇa, lies to the troops, reassuring them that it is just  is some huge, (animated)  scarecrow (utthitam. . . rākṣasāṇaṃ vibhīsikam). We rendered the term as “scarecrow” which we believed fit the context of Vibhīṣaṇa’s deception. Other translators have taken it differently :

‘‘scarecrow towering amid the rākṣasas’’ utthitam. . . rākṣasāṇaṃ vibhisikam: Literally,
‘‘the upraised scarecrow of the rākṣasas.’’ We follow the suggestion of Cr (Śivasahāya), who
adds the term madhye, ‘‘in the midst,’’ to construe with the genitive rākṣasāṇaṃ. We
take the participle utthitam, ‘‘towering,’’ adjectivally as we did with the parallel participle
samucchrita in the same context at (6.49.31. Other translators have rendered the
phrase variously. Roussel (1903, vol. 3, p. 203), followed by Shastri (1959, vol. 3, p.
176) and Pagani (1999, p. 1034), understands the term vibhīṣika in its sense of ‘‘terror’’
rather than a physical object. Roussel translates, ‘‘Cette immense frayeur que ’inspirent les
Rakshasas.’’ Raghunathan (1982, vol. 3, p. 176) reads the genitive rākṣasāṇaṃ as if it
were an instrumental, construing it with the passive participle utthitam, and renders,
‘‘which the Rakshasas have raised.’’ Dutt (1893, p. 1312) and Gita Press (1969, vol. 3,
p. 1617) read utthitam as an active participle of an intransitive verb, rendering, respectively,
‘‘this fearful phenomenon of the Rakshasas that hath presented itself’’ and
‘‘this nightmare of the ogres, come into being.’’ (our notes to 6.54.6)

Earlier, at 6. 49.31  Vibhīṣaṇa, seeing that Rāvaṇa is about to turn Kumbhakarṇa loose on the monkeys,  tells Rāma of his plan that he will tell the monkeys that the giant is just some  huge mechanical device (yantram . . . samucchritam) which we rendered there as  “some giant mechanical man.”  The commentators have various interpretations, but the point is that what Vibhīṣana is falsely conjuring up is either an animated, mechanical device or some apparition conjured up by the rākṣasas’ māyā. Our note ad 6.49.31 reads as follows.

The idea seems to be that Vibhīṣaṇa wants to falsely represent the
gargantuan Kumbhakarṇa as an animated mannequin, designed merely to frighten
the monkeys. Ck  (Kataka)and Ct (Nāgeśa) explain that the monkeys are to be told that this was some
mere mechanical device created through the power of illusion and erected by Rāvaṇa
merely to cause fright. Therefore, Ck and Ct continue, it is really nothing at all.
(samucchritaṃ rāvaṇena. māyayā vibhīṣikārthaṃ nirmitaṃ kiṃcid yantramātram. ato na kiṃcid etad iti.) Cr (Śivasahāya) understands that Vibhīṣaṇa wants the monkeys to believe that it is a huge
mechanical rāksasa that loses its power when it comes into his, Vibhīṣaṇa’s, vicinity (samucchritam atipravrddham etat pradṛśyamānaṃ rakṣoyantraṃ matsamīpe samkucitatejo bhaviṣyatīti sesah).
Cg (Govindarāja) glosses, ‘‘a large, that is, a tall, device that is a scarecrow. (yantraṃ bibhīṣikā. samucchritam unnatam.)’’ See verse 6.54.5 and our note.

So, if we understand by “scarecrow” to be an immobile tṛṇapuruṣa, then, perhaps following Vibhīṣana  and Śivasahāya it may be one that is more  like L.Frank Baum’s Scarecrow on steroids.

Best to you all,

Bob Goldman

Dr. R.P. Goldman
William and Catherine Magistretti Professor of Sanskrit Emeritus
and
Professor in the Graduate School
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540