[INDOLOGY] scarecrow

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 01:45:38 UTC 2024

Dear Arlo,

It's vīruttr̥ṇamayapuruṣa in verse 264 of the Subhāṣitaratnakōṣa:

kāmaṁ kūlē nadīnām anugiri mahiṣīyūthanīḍōpakaṇṭhē
gāhantē śaṣparājīr abhinavaśalabhagrāsalōkā balākāḥ
antarvinyastavīruttr̥ṇamayapuruṣatrāsavighnaṁ kathañcit
kāpotaṁ kodravāṇāṁ kavalayati kaṇān kṣētrakōṇaikadeśe

Ingalls' translation:

By the streambank, up toward the hills,
close by where the buffaloes are lying,
the cranes stalk calmly through the young grass
hunting for fresh locusts;
the flock of doves, though hindered by their fear
of straw-filled scarecrows set therein,
yet manages to peck up grains of beggarweed
along a corner of the field.

Andrew