[INDOLOGY] iconography of an Indian carved wooden panel

Asko Parpola aparpola at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 17:49:06 UTC 2024

Many thanks to Madhav Deshpande, Manish Rajan Walvekar and Nagaraj Paturi for your comments. I am convinced that the panel represent Viṣṇu as Sūrya-Nārāyaṇa, worshipped by Hanuman and Garuḍa. The lower hands hold reins of chariot-horses. The upper hands seem to hold weapons - triśūla (rather than a plant, which should be lotus) and sword/dagger.

Best regards, Asko Parpola