[INDOLOGY] iconography of an Indian carved wooden panel

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 17:12:39 UTC 2024

The two elements in the two lower hands are reins of  chariot. horse(s).

In Sri Vaishnava temples, it is common to have the shrines dedicated to
Hanuman and Garuda on either side of the central  shrine of Vishnu in any
form.

Vishnu on chariot can be  Suryanarayana or Savitr Narayana.

Lotus in the hands of Surya is not uncommon.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 8:32 PM Manish Rajan Walvekar via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Professor Asko,
>
> I discussed this with Dr. Gopal Joge of Deccan College, Pune. He added
> to Prof. Deshpande's scholarly opinion:- the image appears to be 'Vishnu',
> but with a typical late period 'Himalayan' style. Similar kinds of wood
> carving and images can be seen at Devi-Kothi, Himachal Pradesh, India.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 6:57 PM Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear Asko,
>>
>> This looks like Chaturbhuja Vishnu at the center, flanked by Hanuman and
>> Garuda. In my family, we have an image of Krishna with Hanuman and Garuda
>> at his feet. I have seen this arrangement in some temples in Pune.
>>
>> Madhav
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> Madhav M. Deshpande
>> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
>> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore,
>> India
>>
>> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 5:53 AM Asko Parpola via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Years ago my wife acquired in London the finely carved wooden panel a
>>> scan of which is attached.
>>> We are at loss in trying to identify the central figure with vaiṣṇava
>>> marks, worshipped by the monkey
>>> king (Hanuman? Vālin?) and the bird king (Garuḍa? Jaṭāyus?). The
>>> worshippers rather point to
>>> Rāma, but the iconography of the object of their worship is unusual and
>>> strange to me.
>>> He wears a crown and the upper hands hold a three-leaved plant (?) and a
>>> sword or dagger (?),
>>> the lower hands hold garlands (?) or reins of chariot horse (?). We look
>>> forward to expert opinions.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Asko
>>

> --
> *Regards,*
> *Dr. Manish Rajan Walvekar*
> *Assistant Professor (Senior Grade) and Centre Coordinator*
> *Amrita Darshanam International Centre for Spiritual Studies*
> *Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham*
> *Bangalore.*
>
> || तस्मै पाणिनये नमः ||

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.
Dean, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.