[INDOLOGY] Statement Regarding the Murty Classical Library of India

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 7 09:14:37 UTC 2024

I agree with you wholeheartedly Andrew about the need to carve out some
actual, concrete autonomy, and I think it's a very important point.
Granted also what you point out about the academic institutions' (and their
administrators') overwhelming cynicism, we still at least have the power as
a community (don't we?) to generate some bad press for MCLI/HUP's wrong
turn.  Even if it affects nothing on the ground, it would at least give
form to our recognition of a distinction between the original vision and
what seems to be emerging now. Maybe we could do a collective, open letter?
At least the Wire would probably report on it. We could use Bob's letter to
the provost as a basic model and then incorporate other feedback from list
members, and then collect as many signatures as possible (being careful not
to impugn anyone personally who has not had the chance to present their
case, as Brendan sagely advises us). Do people think this is worth doing?
On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 1:28 AM Andrew Ollett via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I very rarely write to this list to simply voice an opinion, but I think I
> will break my own rule in this case, because the question has arisen of
> what we, as scholars, can do in a situation like this. The answer, I am
> sorry to say, is not very much. That is by design. MCLI is published by
> Harvard University Press, which, while technically a non-profit, is a
> non-profit the same way that Harvard University is, with an endowment
> bigger than the GDP of most countries. The press is a business, concerned
> with brands, markets, and intellectual property. When there was a general
> editor, it was somebody's job to care about scholarly matters, but that has
> not been the case at MCLI for several years now. The big picture is that,
> once the decision was made to house MCLI at a big, rich, prestigious,
> complex, institution, "their reality is the one that matters" (as someone
> closely involved with MCLI once said). The editors and translators of the
> series ultimately work for the institution, as HUP has demonstrated on
> multiple occasions, most recently with the firing of the entire editorial
> board.
>
> That is unfortunate, especially because I had hoped that a big endowment
> would free the series from some of the caprices of patronage that we might
> have worried about (remember CSL?). But even if the "portfolio" of MCLI has
> a lot of money attached to it, it's still not a portfolio that we, the
> scholars, have any control over whatsoever, or any right to. (Indeed, I had
> to sign away all of my rights for my translation of *Līlāvaī*, and I
> would bet that the same is true for every other book published in the
> series.)
>
> If we, the scholarly community, ever undertake a project like this again,
> I would hope that its future would depend to a much greater extent on the
> people who actually do the scholarly work.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2024 at 5:01 PM Jan E.M. Houben via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Thanks for drawing attention to this disturbing situation.
>> While profoundly appreciative and grateful for the monumental
>> achievements of MCLI so far, thanks to the generous funding and the
>> engagement of sincere scholarship and administration, I fully support both
>> points brought forward by Brendan.
>> Perhaps so, but it is indeed questionable whether anything can be
>> expected by writing to the current interim provost or any senior
>> administrator at Harvard University, who, no doubt having more pressing
>> concerns at present, are only in the most formal way "ultimately
>> responsible" for what happens according to MCLI's self-adopted and
>> self-funded mission https://www.murtylibrary.com/about/our-mission
> [...]

Jesse Knutson PhD
Professor of Sanskrit Language and Literature
Department of Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i, Mānoa
461 Spalding

E io ch’avea d’error la testa cinta,
dissi: «Maestro, che è quel ch’i’ odo?
e che gent’ è che par nel duol sì vinta?

Ed elli a me: «Questo misero modo
tegnon l’anime triste di coloro
che visser sanza ’nfamia e sanza lodo.

Mischiate sono a quel cattivo coro
de li angeli che non furon ribelli
né fur fedeli a Dio, ma per sé fuoro.

Caccianli i ciel per non esser men belli,

né lo profondo inferno li riceve,
  ch’alcuna gloria i rei avrebber d’elli». (Inferno 3.31-39)