[INDOLOGY] Statement Regarding the Murty Classical Library of India

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 5 13:16:30 UTC 2024

I cannot fathom why this is happening, but I fear that I already know the
kinds of forces compromising academic integrity in this instance, since
they are likely the same ones at work in many other less spectacular ones.
Leaving speculation aside for now, I’ll just say that MCLI has been to my
mind one of the most exciting and uplifting initiatives in our field. The
way it has weathered previous attacks with solemn dignity has also been a
model and inspiration. MCLI is exactly the kind of thing I yearned for when
I first started getting interested in Sanskrit as a tender youth, and it
really stands to change the world as I see it. I can also say from
firsthand experience that each of our colleagues who has been fired from
their position is a scholar and editor of the highest possible order. Their
dismissal is an act of such insanity that I wonder if anyone behind it
could even be fit to stand trial. In any case this is an indelible stain on
the reputation of MCLI and HUP.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 7:58 PM Robert P. GOLDMAN via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> This is deeply disturbing although, alas, hardly surprising. It reflects,
> no doubt ,political interference with this groundbreaking and outstanding
> scholarly series. List members should add their voices to those of  the
>  former members of the editorial board.
>
> Dr. R.P. Goldman
> William and Catherine Magistretti Professor of Sanskrit Emeritus
> and
> Joint Editor of the South Asia Across the Disciplines  Publication Series
> Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
> Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
>

> On Mar 4, 2024, at 8:29 AM, Archana Venkatesan via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Dear Respected Colleagues,
>
> With apologies for cross-posting, please see the attached communication
> from the former editors of the Murty Classical Library of India.
>
> Archana
>
> --
> *"When writers die they become books, which is, after all, not too bad an
> incarnation."*  Jorge Luis Borges
>
> Archana Venkatesan
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://archana.faculty.ucdavis.edu/__;!!PvDODwlR4mBZyAb0!VgfNW29l13F9XyBjEt94VIJ9a8371sf67wcOStxwK7VmoIZj1n9oow9QuPXnNJ95juwrN0UuVpm8yceWS3u8JDPoQTXc$>
>  (archana.faculty.ucdavis.edu
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://archana.faculty.ucdavis.edu/__;!!PvDODwlR4mBZyAb0!VgfNW29l13F9XyBjEt94VIJ9a8371sf67wcOStxwK7VmoIZj1n9oow9QuPXnNJ95juwrN0UuVpm8yceWS3u8JAURrzEc$>
> )
> Graduate Advisor, Graduate Program in the Study of Religion
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://religionsgrad.ucdavis.edu/__;!!PvDODwlR4mBZyAb0!VgfNW29l13F9XyBjEt94VIJ9a8371sf67wcOStxwK7VmoIZj1n9oow9QuPXnNJ95juwrN0UuVpm8yceWS3u8JObnZLoy$>
> (2022-2024)
> *Professor, Religious Studies and Comparative Literature*
> Phone: 530-754-2821 (Office)

Jesse Knutson PhD
Professor of Sanskrit Language and Literature
Department of Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i, Mānoa
461 Spalding

E io ch’avea d’error la testa cinta,
dissi: «Maestro, che è quel ch’i’ odo?
e che gent’ è che par nel duol sì vinta?

Ed elli a me: «Questo misero modo
tegnon l’anime triste di coloro
che visser sanza ’nfamia e sanza lodo.

Mischiate sono a quel cattivo coro
de li angeli che non furon ribelli
né fur fedeli a Dio, ma per sé fuoro.

Caccianli i ciel per non esser men belli,

né lo profondo inferno li riceve,

                ch’alcuna gloria i rei avrebber d’elli». (Inferno 3.31-39)