[INDOLOGY] Samavedic musical notation

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 16:55:54 UTC 2024

Dear François,

Since you want to give a reply to your student -- Asko: happy to know that
this important publication of Wayne Howard has been generously made
available at the Studia Orientalia website -- you may consider in addition
to refer him to:

J.M. van der Hoogt:
The Vedic Chant Studied in its Textual and Melodic Form.
(Concerns mainly the Kauthuma school of Samaveda.)
Dissertation at the University of Amsterdam (prepared under the direction
of Barend Faddegon).
Wageningen: Veenman & Sons, 1929.

Without practical examples this, and many other publications on the
Samaveda, still remain largely incomprehensible.
Hence the necessity either to travel to India and study the Sama chant in
situ,
or to refer in addition to:

https://vimeo.com/channels/vedicritual
and more specifically to
https://vimeo.com/channels/vedicritual/722739138

Vaidikas in Bucharest 2010 - edited Paris 2022
Pdt. Chaitanya N. Kale and Pdt. Mukund R. Joshi (of the rare Rāṇāyanīya
school of the Sāmaveda) give a presentation:
*The mnemotechniques and traditional recitation of the Vedic Samhitas (RV
and SV)*
Bucharest, 22 September 2010.
A. Recitation of some well-known Rgvedic mantras (their precise
identification is left as an exercise to students of the Vedas) -- 00:30;
B. RV 1.164.50 in samhita, pada and krama patha -- 04:25;
C. Samavedic mantras and chant --
07:25 intro;
08:25 recitation of Purvarcika, SV 1.1-10;
10:25 chant on the basis of SV 1.139: together with text plus its musical
notation.

All best,
Jan

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 at 10:12, Asko Parpola via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear François, See:
>
> Howard, Wayne, 1977. Sāmavedic  chant. New Haven: Yale University Press.
> xxv, 572 pp., 48 ill., 8 tables.
>
> Howard, Wayne, 1988. Decipherment of the musical notation of the
> Jaiminīyas. With a foreword by Asko Parpola. (Studia Orientalia, 63.)
> Helsinki: Finnish Oriental Society. xv, 330 pp.
>
> downloadable at https://journal.fi/store/issue/view/3442.
>
> Falk, Harry, 1993. Die beiden Notationen der sāmavedischen svaras.
> Berliner Indologische Studien 7: 103-107.
>

> With best wishes, Asko
>
> On 27. Jan 2024, at 21.09, François Voegeli via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Dear Members of the List,
>
> Where can I find a good, concise and understandable explanation of the
> sāmavedic musical notation?
>
> I found some rather brief or cryptic comments on the matter in Renou's
> "Inde classique" § 547-548 and Burnell (Introduction to the Ārṣeya
> Brāhmaṇa, p. xxvi-xxvii), but these are not sufficient for my purpose
> (which is to give the best possible answer to a student's question).
>
> This doesn't need to be exhaustive. A good and simple description of the
> Jaiminīya's way, for example, would be enough.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> F. Voegeli

*Jan E.M. Houben*

Directeur d'Études, Professor of South Asian History and Philology

*Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite*

École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, Paris Sciences et Lettres)

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

Groupe de recherches en études indiennes (EA 2120)

*johannes.houben [at] ephe.psl.eu <johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu>*

*https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
<https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben>*

*https://www.classicalindia.info* <https://www.classicalindia.info>

LabEx Hastec -- *L'Inde Classique* augmentée: construction, transmission

     et transformations d'un savoir scientifique