[INDOLOGY] New book announcement

noemie verdon noemie.verdon at protonmail.com
Fri Jan 19 14:15:29 UTC 2024

Dear all,

I am glad to share the details with you of my recently published book, a revision of my PhD dissertation, entitled The Books Sānk and Pātanğal. A Socio-cultural History of al-Bīrūnī’s Interpretations of Sāṅkhya and Yoga (Brill 2024, ISBN: 978-90-04-68030-2/978-90-04-54853-4).

About the book:

Al-Bīrūnī (ca. 973–1050) was an innovative encyclopaedist thinker. He is particularly known to have investigated into India of his time. Yet, his life and the circumstances of his encounter with Indian languages, culture and sciences are still shrouded in mystery and legends. This research brings to light elements of his intellectual journey based on well-grounded analysis so as to contextualise al-Bīrūnī’s work of transmission of Indian philosophies into Arabic. Thanks to a theoretical framework rooted in a multidisciplinary approach, including Translation Studies, it enables to comprehend the full scope of his work and to analyse deeply his motives and choices of interpretation.

You can access the publisher page here: https://brill.com/display/title/65048 (Open Access).

Best wishes,

Noémie Verdon

--