[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit infinitive expressing 'on account of'?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 21:19:58 UTC 2024

Thank you for that suggestion, Hans Henrich. Indeed, the /ca /should be
taken seriously. And as Walter Slaje reminded me privately, /dyumna /is,
of course, a noun (unlike /dyumat/, which I suppose was subconsciously
at the root of my off-the-cuff translation), so something like 'wealth
and fame' would be a better translation.

My gut feeling, as I said, is that /nigadan /is the better reading. It
is also from a MS that, if Bhandarkar is correct, is some 200 years
earlier than the one giving /gadituṃ/. I suspect that what may have
happened is that, in the phrase /śubhāśubhā_ni ni_gadan/, one /ni/ was
accidentally omitted in an earlier witness, leaving the verse one
syllable short and leading a later, semi-literate copyist to emend
/gadan/ to /gadituṃ/. I just wanted to check first if I was missing some
obscure use of the infinitive, but so far it seems not.

Best wishes,
Martin