[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit infinitive expressing 'on account of'?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:37:26 UTC 2024

The Sanskrit infinitive is commonly used in the sense 'for the sake of',
much like the final dative of a noun. Recently, however, I came across a
phrase where, if the reading is correct, it can only be understood in
something like the opposite sense, that is, 'on account of'
(corresponding more to the use of the ablative or instrumental):

/... atra śubhāśubhāni gadituṃ dyumnaṃ yaśaś cāpnuyāt
/
'[The astrologer], _on account of predicting_ good and evil, will attain
bright fame.'

There is a variant reading /nigadan/, which would be entirely
unproblematic and, I suspect, preferable; but I should like to know if
any sort of case can be made for the lectio difficilior. I haven't come
across such a use of the infinitive before. Has anyone else?

Best wishes,
Martin Gansten