[INDOLOGY] Sandhi and grammar

Martin Joachim Kümmel martin-joachim.kuemmel at uni-jena.de
Mon Feb 26 10:51:45 UTC 2024

The basic reason for the special behaviour of dual endings might rather be that some of them originally had a disyllabic structure *-ahiH,  *-iHiH so that it was not reduced to a simple diphthong or vowel in Sandhi, and by analogy this was extended to other duals.
Malzahn assumes this also for the neuter in *-o-jh₁#V > *-aiH#V > *-ayy#V but here I would doubt that the laryngeal had such an impact since it clearly did not in cases of *ayHV > Skt.  ayV in internal position. But feminine forms in *-aH-iH and *-iH-iH are a different case. I discussed this in a review (Kratylos 49, 2004, pp. 53-55).

Best wishes,
Martin