[INDOLOGY] Sandhi and grammar

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 24 18:47:39 UTC 2024

Thanks, Dieter, for this helpful reference.

If I read Malzahn’s arguments regarding the dual endings correctly, she suggests that their exceptional behavior can be attributed to the frequency of pre-pausal forms in numerals and vocatives, and that in the latter case prosodic factors may have played a role.

I’m not convinced, however, that this will explain the lack of sandhi; if anything, a short final vowel might be expected to undergo contraction even more readily than a long final vowel. Moreover, there are many forms in short final vowel (e.g. the vocative in -a of a-stems) that do not exhibit exceptional sandhi behavior. So the situation still looks murky to me.

Best wishes,

Hans Henrich