[INDOLOGY] Sandhi and grammar

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 24 17:11:54 UTC 2024

Michael Witzel’s suggestion that a laryngeal may be responsible for the lack of sandhi in the dual endings -ī and -ū may be on the right track; but note that the nominative singular endings -ī and -ū likewise contained a final laryngeal but do undergo sandhi.  Moreover, early Vedic is less consistent as regards sandhi (especially the form of early Vedic inferrable from poetic structure). So there must have been some kind of grammatical standardization (or grammaticalization). The criteria motivating this development are not clear to me. Perhaps somebody has a suggestion or a reference to one?

All the best

HHH