[INDOLOGY] Sandhi and grammar

Caley Smith smith.caley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 04:57:59 UTC 2024

Welsh lenition has a similar phenomenon, it looks morpho-phonemic on the
surface because of its history.
For example cath = cat but with masculine definite article* y gath *[the
male cat] with feminine definite article* y chath* [the female cat].
Because *y *is pronounced the same for both genders, it looks like lenition
can "see" gender morphology, but in fact
it must go back to a time when the masc. article went back to something
ending in a vowel like Sanskrit asya and the fem. article went back to
something similar to Sanskrit asyās such that that -s in sandhi aspirated
the beginning of the next word
while the final vowel of the masc. article voiced the beginning of the next
work. Once a speaker learns these alternations,
they are de facto morphophonemic sandhi rules, but their history is just
that their originally distinct speech sounds were erased by time.

 Caley