[INDOLOGY] Sandhi and grammar

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 04:25:49 UTC 2024

Dear Harry,

You might consult some of Paul Kiparsky's work on Lexical Phonology (e.g.,
“Some Consequences of Lexical Phonology” in *Phonology Yearbook *2 [1985]:
85–138) and more recently in Stratal Optimality Theory (e.g.,
https://web.stanford.edu/~kiparsky/Papers/reduplication.pdf, which has some
examples from Sanskrit, and
https://web.stanford.edu/~kiparsky/Papers/taipei.2014.pdf). Basically:
sandhi consists of a set of phonological constraints which apply at
multiple levels of the language, including the level of the stem, the word,
and the phrase.

Andrew