[INDOLOGY] Sāvarṇi gotra, Sāvarṇa gotra, and Śaiva dīkṣā name

Ganesan T ganesan at ifpindia.org
Fri Feb 2 09:27:19 UTC 2024

Dear Sri Palaniappan,
It is very interesting to know about the  Sāvaṛṇa/ Sāvaṛṇi gotra mentioned
in the inscriptions.
I am not sure about the existence of such a gotra.
But, in the  Naṭarājapaddhati, a Śaiva[siddhānta] ritual manual composed in
the Tamil country in the 11th century CE (one century earlier that the well
known paddhati composed by Aghoraśivācārya ), which I, along with my
colleague  am critically editing for the first time based on a single
manuscript  (the 1st volume will soon be going to the press), its author Rā
manātha  states that he was born in the  savarṇakula.
According to the Suprabhedagama, one of the 28  Śaiva Mūlāgama-s, a person
born of marriage between a brāhmaṇa man and a kṣatriya woman where the
rituals are performed by reciting the [appropriate] mantra-s, is known as a
‘savarṇa’
It is also stated there that savarṇa is one among the anuloma- varṇa-s.
I have given these details in my introduction to the edited text.

I am not sure how far this information will be useful for you or in any way
clarify your doubts.

I just wanted to share this information with you.

Best wishes
Ganesan

Dr. T. GANESAN
Research Associate