[INDOLOGY] mythologies of the pearl

Lyne Bansat-Boudon Lyne.Bansat-Boudon at ephe.psl.eu
Thu Apr 25 18:10:02 UTC 2024

Dear colleagues,

This is only incidental observation, but I would like to draw your attention to a topos that makes pearls flow from the split temples of rutting elephants.

On the other hand, is it not said that the pearl is the product of a disease of the oyster, and that it detaches itself from the shell as a separate entity

(indicated by its derivation from the root muc- )?

With best wishes,

Lyne

Lyne Bansat-Boudon

Directeur d'études pour les Religions de l'Inde

Ecole pratique des hautes études, section des sciences religieuses

Membre senior honoraire de l'Institut universitaire de France