[INDOLOGY] mythologies of the pearl

Asko Parpola aparpola at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:24:02 UTC 2024

I wrote the following on RISA-list 2019-02-01 (Bala-Rāma & pearls): S.A. Dange in his Encyclopaedia of Puranic beliefs and practices, vol. II (New Delhi 1987), s.v. Gems p. 622 notes the following: “The pearls that are produced from the shell are said to be due to the fact that the teeth of the demon Bala fell into the shells. These pearls are said to be of eight types - or they have eight sources: - Simhala (Saiṃhalika) (Ceylon), the other world (pāralaukika), Surāṣṭra (saurāṣṭrika), the river Tāmraparṇī (tāmraparṇa), pāraśava, Kubera (kauberika), Pāṇḍya, Hāṭaka, and Hemaka (Garuḍa P. 69.23.”  Under Demons, p. 393f. in the same volume, Dange records the following from the preceding chapter of the Garuḍa-Purāṇa I,68,1-4: “the demon Bala was fierce, yet he was duped by the gods. He performed a sacrifice, at which the gods were invited. The gods asked a boon from him, which he granted. They asked him to part with his beasthood (Ib. 2, paśutāṃ yācitaḥ sa surair makhe). The moment he parted with his beasthood, he was killed by the gods at the same sacrifice. But the act of truth and the sacrifice of Bala did not go in vain. The limbs of his body became the sources of gems (Ib. 4, kāyasyāvayavāḥ sarve ratba-bījatvam ā yayuḥ).” Dange continues: “The Padma P. (Bhūmikhaṇḍa 22.10-40) mentions Bala as the son of Diti, killed by Indra as the former was performing the evening-sandhyā (propitiation of the sun by holy mantras) on the shore of the sea. A somewhat similar account appears at another place (Ib. Uttarakhaṇḍa 6).”  I find it quite significant that the deity connected with the origin of the pearls in this Purāṇic myth is Bala — it does agree with Cicero’s information that Heracles - who according to Megasthenes found the pearls - was called in India Belus, i.e. Bala.
- See more on this topic in my book “The Roots of Hinduism” (OUP 2015) pp. 152-154.
With best wishes, Asko