[INDOLOGY] scarecrow

Carmen Spiers carmensylviaspiers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 10:02:56 UTC 2024

 śakuniprapatanā- seems to refer to something like a scarecrow in PS
19.47.8b; though it is an epithet applied to a woman whom the speaker
wishes to become insane or shunned, a masculine form meaning "scarecrow"
might be the inspiration for it.

Op zo 31 mrt 2024 om 03:18 schreef Arlo Griffiths via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info>:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Looking through NWS (search term Vogelscheuche), MW, and even the
> English-Sanskrit dictionaries at
> https://sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/simple/, it is hard to find any
> words that evidently means 'scarecrow' in Sanskrit.
>
> Would anyone be able to point me to words expressing this meaning with
> some degree of plausibility?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Arlo Griffiths

Carmen Sylvia Spiers