[INDOLOGY] scarecrow

Rupert Gethin Rupert.Gethin at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Apr 1 11:39:26 UTC 2024

Compare also Pali. In the Abhidhamma definition of saññā we find:

yathā-upaṭṭhitavisayapadaṭṭhānā tiṇapurisakesu migapotakānaṃ purisā ti uppannasaññā viyā (Visuddhimagga 457 (XIV.113); Atthasālinī 111)

Its footing is an object as presented, as when young animals have the cognition ‘people’ with regard to scarecrows.

Best wishes,

Rupert
—
Rupert Gethin