[INDOLOGY] Meaning of dot over numerals

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:01:41 UTC 2024

What Madhav and Nagaraj  say (that the devanagari 4 with dot on top) in
this manuscript represents oM makes sense from the contents but is it more
complicated?
1) This symbol (numeral 4 with dot on top) mostly occurs as oM before a
bIja mantra followed by namaH. And all bIja mantras followed by namaH use
this symbol (numeral 4 with dot) as oM. See folios 5b, 6a,6b,7a,7b etc.
2)  ओं  is also used throughout the manuscript  See folios 1a,2a,2b,4a,5b,
11a
3)Has anyone seen this symbol (numeral 4 with dot on top) used in any other
manuscripts?

Harry Spier