[INDOLOGY] On Devadāru Forest/lingam origin narratives...

peter bisschop pcbisschop at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 1 06:28:54 UTC 2024

Dear Westin,

You may also want to have a look at the three articles by Wilhelm Jahn on
the subject: 'Die Legende vom Devadāruvana', published in 3 parts in
*Zeitschrift
der Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft, *volumes 69-71 (1915-17).

It also forms a major element in the South Indian *Cidambaramāhātmya*, for
which see Hermann Kulke, *Cidambaramāhātmya: Eine Untersuchung der
religionsgeschichtlichen und historischen Hintergründe für die Entstehung
der Tradition einer südindischen Tempelstadt*, Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz,
1970.

The earliest version may well be that recorded in the early *Skandapurāṇa*,
chapter 167 (verses 72-80), edited and discussed with reference to other
sources in my own book *Early Śaivism and the Skandapurāṇa: Sects and
Centers* (Groningen: Egbert Forsten, 2006).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Peter Bisschop

——

Peter C. Bisschop

Professor of Sanskrit and Ancient Cultures of South Asia

Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (LIAS)

Matthias de Vrieshof 3 / 2311 BZ Leiden / The Netherlands

https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/staffmembers/peter-bisschop#tab-1

copies of my publications are available for download at

https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/PeterBisschop

ERC PURANA project (2022-2027)

https://purana.pubpub.org/