[INDOLOGY] Dhvanyāloka

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Mon Apr 1 01:52:08 UTC 2024

Dear Scholars,

In the Harvard Press edition of Ānandavardhana’s Dhvanyāloka, I recall reading a passage stating, basically, that in the presentation of Mahābhārata stories, one can employ the principle of aucitya (MW: fitness, suitableness, decorum) to bring about a suitable rasa that the audience will understand and feel. Further, one may adjust or alter certain details in the MBh in order to bring this about this effect.

Presumably a famous example of this would be the various presentations of the Śakuntalā story.

I have been unable to find the passage that, I believe, states this principle of aucitya. I would be grateful for any help in tracking this down.

With best wishes,
Howard