[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Whitney and doubling of "ch"

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Oct 21 16:54:19 UTC 2023

In geminates like क्क, according to the Pratishakhyas, the contact in the
first consonant is not released, and the same contact as the first
consonant continues to be held longer till it is released slightly later.
In such cases, the first consonant is called अभिनिधान. [स्पर्शस्य
स्पर्शेऽभिनिधान:]

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]