[INDOLOGY] [External] Whitney and doubling of "ch"

Collins, Brian collinb1 at ohio.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:23:33 UTC 2023

On the first question, there’s a recent book about it (which has been in my TBR pile for a while now)

[9788323397694.jpg]

I’m following this discussion with great interest. It seems to me the script was meant to convey the sounds in Vedic recitation, so the question of whether someone is chanting “gacchati” because it is written that way or writing “gacchati” because it is chanted that way raises a lot of questions. I would be hard pressed to hear the difference between gacchati and Gauhati in the context of a chant, but that may be because I am not a trained vedicist nor a pandit.

Best,

Brian

Prof. Brian Collins
(He/Him/His)
Department Chair and Drs. Ram and Sushila Gawande Chair in Indian Religion and Philosophy
Department of Classics and Religious Studies
234 Ellis Hall
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio
740-597-2103 (office)