[INDOLOGY] Whitney and doubling of "ch"

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 14:09:42 UTC 2023

Hans Heinrich Hock wrote:

> Whatever the motivation may be for the spelling with a single <ch> in the
> Rig Veda (and let’s keep in mind that the “real” Rig Veda is oral),

1) Can someone point me to some article on when and why the Rg-veda was
first written down . what script etc.  Was it a British initiative or was
the whole or parts written down before the colonial period?  I've seen in a
modern Taittiriya Vedashala the students practicing some of their mantras
using  written material.  Did the medieval and later Vedashalas also use
written materials to teach their students?

2) Is it possible that this  "Rg-veda written spelling gachati etc." is
just a reflection of what was written when the Rg-veda was first written
down?

Thanks,
Harry Spier