[INDOLOGY] Aśoka, Ashoka, Ahsoka

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 14:10:54 UTC 2023

Dear Herman,

For once, this is a case of mythology that came to be recently enough for
its creators to tell us about their motivations on Wikipedia:

Ahsoka was created by George Lucas
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lucas> and Dave Filoni
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Filoni>.[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano#cite_note-2> The character was
developed to illustrate how Anakin Skywalker
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker> develops from the brash,
undisciplined Padawan apprentice in *Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the
Clones
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_II_%E2%80%93_Attack_of_the_Clones>*
(2002)
to the more reserved Jedi Knight in *Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episode_III_%E2%80%93_Revenge_of_the_Sith>*
 (2005).[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano#cite_note-TVGuide-3>
Lucas,
who had two daughters, also wanted the character to appeal to girls.[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano#cite_note-taylor-4> Early in
development, Ahsoka's name was "Ashla".[5]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano#cite_note-5>[a]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano#cite_note-7> Lucas renamed her
after the ancient Indian emperor Ashoka
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka>; the spelling was then altered by
screenwriter Henry Gilroy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Gilroy>.[7]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano#cite_note-8>  (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano)

and Twitter:

'In honor of #CloneWars 10th, the title page for the series bible I wrote
back in 05. When we met with George to discuss the bible he changed
Anakin's Padawan from 'Ashla' to 'Ashoka', after the Indian Emperor of the
Maurya Dynasty. I later tweaked it to Ahsoka to make her unique.' (
https://twitter.com/HGilroy67/status/1019372713712893952)

All my best,
     Antonia