[INDOLOGY] Aśoka, Ashoka, Ahsoka

Charles DiSimone disimone at alumni.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 11 09:04:57 UTC 2023

Dear Herman Tieken,

I don't know if Ahsoka is related to Aśoka but there is a long history of
Sanskrit and related influence in Star Wars. I recell reading that Yoda
takes his name from yoddhṛ. The Duel of the Fates song from Episode 1 has
its chorus sung in (mangled) Sanskrit. Additionally, Tibetan and Kalmyk
were supposedly the inspiration, in part, of the language of the Ewoks.

With my best wishes,
Charles

Prof. Dr. Charles DiSimone
Associate Professor of Buddhist Studies