[INDOLOGY] In search of an emendation

Amandine Bricout amandine.bricout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 10:14:07 UTC 2023

Hi Jonas,

I don't know if it can be helpful but the compound *kṣutkṣāma*° "emaciated
with hunger" is found in several purāṇas. Maybe the cow considers the calf
emaciated with hunger and she wants to breastfeed him. I suggest something
like  kṣutkṣāmeṇa tam ālokya in which the instrumental case could express
the cause. It isn't totally satisfactory but just an idea.
Warm regards,

Le mar. 10 oct. 2023 à 20:08, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :

> Hi Jonas,
>
> Assuming that the reading is *utkṣāmabhiḥ* [not *ukṣāmabhiḥ* or
> *akṣāmabhiḥ*], it could be a compound of *ud+kṣāman* meaningesg "lifting
> up from the ground", or getting up, as an adjective of *aṅgaiḥ* [or of
> implied "eyes" connecting with *tam ālokya*. Just suggesting a
> possibility. Best,
>
> Madhav
>
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India
>
> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 7:10 AM Buchholz, Jonas <jonas.buchholz at hadw-bw.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>

>> my colleague Aneesh Raghavan and I are working on an unpublished Sanskrit
>> māhātmya of Kanchipuram and we have encountered a textual problem that we
>> have so far not been able to solve. The passage in question is part of the
>> origin story of the Palar river, which is said to have originated from the
>> streams of milk that the cow Kāmadhenu emitted after the sage Vasiṣṭha had
>> created a calf for her. It reads as follows:
>>

>> prı̄tikaṇṭakitair aṅgaiḥ prasnutastanamaṇḍalā |
>> †ukṣāmabhis (v.l.: akṣāmabhis)† tam ālokya mahaughaiḥ pāyasair nijaiḥ |
>> ullaṅghitobhayataṭām udapādayad āpagām |
>>

>> (The subject is the cow; “tam” refers to “vatsam”, i.e. the calf.)
>>
>> Here, the word “ukṣāmabhiḥ” does not seem to make sense, nor does the
>> variant reading “akṣāmabhiḥ”. However, we cannot think of a meaningful
>> emendation. If any of the members of this list have an idea of how to make
>> sense of this passage, or how the problematic reading could be emended, we
>> would be most grateful!
>>

>> Best wishes,
>> Jonas Buchholz
>>

>> *
>>                                                        ____                _____ *
>>
>> *Dr. Jonas Buchholz*
>>
>> Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
>>
>> Project “Hindu Temple Legends in South India”
>>

>> Karl Jaspers Centre
>>
>> Voßstr. 2 | Building 4400 | Room 004
>>
>> 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
>>

>> P:  +49 (0)6221 54 4095
>>
>> E:  jonas.buchholz at hadw-bw.de
>>
>> W: https://www.hadw-bw.de/htl

Amandine Wattelier-Bricout

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9898-8798

Research Fellow - ERC-DHARMA Project

Centre d’études sud-asiatiques et himalayennes CESAH

CNRS-EHESS | 2ème | N° 217-219

✆ 06 82 95 01 59

✉ amandine.bricout at gmail.com

2 Cours des Humanités