[INDOLOGY] In search of an emendation

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Oct 10 18:06:55 UTC 2023

Hi Jonas,

Assuming that the reading is *utkṣāmabhiḥ* [not *ukṣāmabhiḥ* or *akṣāmabhiḥ*],
it could be a compound of *ud+kṣāman* meaningesg "lifting up from the
ground", or getting up, as an adjective of *aṅgaiḥ* [or of implied "eyes"
connecting with *tam ālokya*. Just suggesting a possibility. Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]