[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit in ChatGPT

Antonia Ruppel antonia.ruppel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 22:39:32 UTC 2023

The use of the past active participle to render the English past active is
to be expected: it’s the standard/most common way to render the past tense
in modern/spoken Sanskrit as taught eg by Samskrta Bharati, and I assume
that that’s the sort of Sanskrit that ChatGPT is trained on. Not applying
external sandhi also is not uncommon in modern Sanskrit, at least as used
by those who aren’t complete masters of the language the way eg Madhav is.

Antonia