[INDOLOGY] Gāyatrī-Mantra | New Publication

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 04:30:03 UTC 2023

Congratulations to Dr Dominik Haas.

Would like to read.

On Sat, Nov 18, 2023 at 12:58 AM Finnian Moore-Gerety via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Dominik—
>
> Congratulations! This is such an important contribution to Indology,
> history of religions, and mantra studies.  And the Open Access is much
> appreciated.
>

> Yours,
>
> Finn
>

> Finnian M.M. Gerety
> Visiting Assistant Professor of Religious Studies
> Interim Director of Undergraduate Studies, Saxena Center for
> Contemporary South Asia
> [Affiliated] Faculty of Contemplative Studies Initiative
> Brown University
> www.finniangerety.com <http://finniangerety.com/>
>

> On Nov 16, 2023, at 3:50 PM, Joanna Jurewicz via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Congratulations, Dominik!
>
> ---
> Prof. dr hab. Joanna Jurewicz
> Katedra Azji Południowej /Chair of South Asia Studies
> Wydział Orientalistyczny / Faculty of Oriental Studies
> Uniwersytet Warszawski /University of Warsaw
> ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
> 00-927 Warszawa , Poland
> Członek Academia Europaea
> Przewodnicząca Rady Programowej Festiwalu Nauki
> Department of Linguistidcs and Modern Languages
> College of Human Sciences,UNISA, Pretoria, RSA
> Member of Academia Europaea
> Chairperson of the Science Festival Programme Council
> https://uw.academia.edu/JoannaJurewicz
>

> czw., 16 lis 2023 o 11:14 Dominik A. Haas <dominik at haas.asia> napisał(a):
>
>> Dear colleagues and friends,
>>
>> I’m pleased to announce the publication of my first monograph: *Gāyatrī:
>> Mantra and Mother of the Vedas*, available from the Austrian Academy of
>> Sciences Press. The book is Open Access and can be downloaded and ordered
>> here: https://doi.org/10.1553/978OEAW93906
>> <uqvaz4gn.bmp>
>>
>> “The mantra known as Gāyatrī or Sāvitrī (Ṛgveda III 62.10) is one of the
>> most frequently recited texts of mankind. Over the course of time it has
>> not only been personified as the mother of the Vedas – the oldest religious
>> literature of South Asia –, but has even come to be venerated as a goddess.
>> Today many consider it the most important, most efficacious, or holiest
>> mantra of all.
>>
>> In *Gāyatrī: Mantra and Mother of the Vedas*, Dominik A. Haas
>> reconstructs the history of the Gāyatrī-Mantra for the first time, tracing
>> it from 1000 BCE to 1000 CE. He shows how an inconspicuous verse became an
>> emblem of Brahminical Hinduism and presents the processes that led to its
>> deification. To this end, he not only subjects passages from more than one
>> hundred source texts in Vedic and Sanskrit to philological-historical
>> analysis, but also draws upon perspectives and insights from religious
>> studies.
>>
>> The Gāyatrī-Mantra plays an important role in contemporary Hinduism as
>> well as in modern yoga and alternative spiritual currents around the globe.
> [...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.