[INDOLOGY] Popular Astrology and Divination in South Asia 10th to 16th Centuries

Eric Moses Gurevitch ericmgurevitch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:18:21 UTC 2023

Dear James,

The introduction and first chapter of Caterina Guenzi’s book, recently
translated into English as *Words of Destiny: Practicing Astrology in North
India, *contain an excellent review of the state of the field ("astrology
and divination") and an extensive bibliography.

To echo Matthew Kapstein: The last two chapters of David Pingree’s *From
Astral Omens to Astrology: from Babylon to Bīkāner *might also be a good
place to start.

Take care,

Eric

On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 3:08 PM Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> The books of S. Balachandra Rao might be helpful for starting out in this
> challenging field.
>
>    - Rao, S. Balachandra. 1998. Indian Mathematics and Astronomy: Some
>    Landmarks. 2 rev. ed. Bangalore: Jnana Deep Publications.
>    - Rao, S. Balachandra. 2000. Ancient Indian Astronomy. Planetary
>    Positions and Eclipses. Delhi: B. R. Publishing Corporation.
>    https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.8419417.
>    - Rao, S. Balachandra. 2000. Indian Astronomy: An Introduction.
>    Hyderabad etc.: Universities Press.
>    - Rao, S. Balachandra. 2015. Indian Astronomy: Concepts and Procedures.
>    Mumbai: Nehru Centre. (" an inclusive and more comprehensive sequel to my
>    earlier titles")
>
> perhaps more via worldcat.
>
> Best,
> Dominik
>

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 at 11:02, James Hegarty via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>> I am trying to find my way into this unfamiliar field and would
>> appreciate any suggestions (of primary or secondary sources).
>>
>> Greetings from a somewhat wet Wales.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> James Hegarty
>> Cardiff University

Eric Moses Gurevitch

National Endowment for the Humanities Postdoctoral Fellow

Vanderbilt University

eric.m.gurevitch at vanderbilt.edu