[INDOLOGY] Maham?

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 08:15:58 UTC 2023

Dear Martin,

have you considered that mahaṃ is used as an abbreviation for mahaṃtaka and
mahattara/mahattama, "an honorific term prefixed to the name of a
respectable man; lit. „a great or elderly man“? Cp. NWS s.v. maha and mahaṃ
for further references.

This would leave us with Samarasiṃha (not the common Amarasiṃha) as a
personal name, a "lion in battle".

Would that be conceivable?

Warm wishes,
Walter