[INDOLOGY] Maham?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 18:27:50 UTC 2023

In a 13th-century text from the western or northwestern part of the
Indian subcontinent, the following colophons occur after the first and
second part, respectively:

iti śrīprāgvāṭānvayakumārasiṃhātmajasamarasiṃhasamuddhṛta- [...]

iti prāgvāṭānvayakumārasiṃhātmaja_mahaṃ_samarasiṃhena
tājikasiddhāṃtoddhṛte [...]

It is the underlined /mahaṃ/ of the second colophon that particularly
interests me. As it occurs in both the MSS of this (rare) text available
to me, it seems unlikely to be a scribal error, but I have little idea
as to its meaning and wonder whether it might be a vernacular/regional
title, place name, or personal name, perhaps giving a clue as to the
more precise place of origin. As can be seen, the author identifies as a
member of the Prāgvāṭa or Porwal community. Any suggestions/information
would be most appreciated.

Best wishes,
Martin Gansten