[INDOLOGY] tuning paste

Tieken, H.J.H. (Herman) H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Sat Aug 5 19:03:01 UTC 2023

Dear List members,
I have received several reactions, among which one from Herman Tull, who in the seventies of the previous century learned to play the mr̥daṅga in India and was also taught how to apply tuning paste the membrane. He was taught (I quote from his mail to me)

"to mix the rava with water to make a ball, and then apply (flattening out) to the drum head (it had to be just wet enough to stick to the drum head, but not so wet as to stick to the hand in striking the drum). Its purpose was  to change its tone, and really to deaden it (the left side of the mridangam), to give it that characteristic "thunk" sound."

"There is a permanent paste applied to the right side of the mrdangam. The paste is made of some sort of glue and iron filings.  This paste has been the subject of many studies, most famously that of the physicist and Nobel laureate C. V. Raman, in his 1934 essay, 'The Indian Musical Drums"".

"Its purpose is  to add timbre to the pitch and, in the case of the right side, to the several pitches that this drum can produce, due to its unique head construction, utilizing several layered skins, which is this drum's unique feature."

My question has come up in the context of a brief paper I am writing (as no. 10 in the series "Realia in Caṅkam Poetry") on the pakaṉṟai flower. In this paper I have to deal with the word pacai, "paste". It refers to several kinds of paste, including fuller's earth and is smeared on various objects, including untreated, hairy hide (or leather) and the membrane of a lute. So I was curious to know what is was doing on the leather membrane of the lute (remove the hairs from the hide, as fuller's earth does?). I assume this use serves the same purpose as the paste smeared on the drum. Now I know.

With kind regards, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag
The Netherlands
00 31 (0)70 2208127
website: hermantieken.com<http://hermantieken.com/>

The Aśoka Inscriptions: Analysing a corpus, New Delhi: Primus Books, 2023.
https://primusbooks.com/ancient/the-asoka-inscriptions-analysing-a-corpus-by-herman-tieken/