[INDOLOGY] Fwd: tuning paste

Agnes Korn agnes.korn at cnrs.fr
Sat Aug 5 17:28:22 UTC 2023

Dear all,

My PhD student Romain Mascagni has seen tuning paste applied in his
fieldwork among the Baloch in Oman (see below).

He is sceptical that it serves to render the membrane more subtle, since
at least the instruments that "his" Baloch are using have the things at
the side (I've no idea what they are called) for that purpose.

Conversely, he thinks that it serves to modify the sound.

He hasn't seen a paste being applied to lute instruments.

If of interest, I can also ask others.

Best,
Agnes