[INDOLOGY] a statement about respectable women

Gaia Pintucci gaiapintucci at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 07:41:20 UTC 2023

Dear list members,

I encountered the following statement:
kulāṅganā hi caramaṃ śāyinyaḥ prathamaṃ prabodhinyaś ca bhavanti
and it was marked with an iti.
(A variant wording has caramaśāyinyaḥ prathamāvabodhinyaś for caramaṃ
śāyinyaḥ prathamaṃ prabodhinyaś.)
Unfortunately my grepping yielded no result, therefore if someone among you
happens to know the source for this sentence or has a hunch of the type of
source which could include a similar statement, I would be very grateful to
hear from you. (I am thinking that dharmaśāstra might be the right place to
search for it, but it would be nice to first narrow down the range of texts
to examine.)
Beside that and regardless whether the above really is a verbatim quote or
not, do any of you know more about the prescription/usage, in the ancient
Indian context, that women, if they are respectable, wake up first and go
to bed last?

All the best,
Gaia Pintucci