[INDOLOGY] Help with a simile

Andrea Acri andrea.acri at ephe.sorbonne.fr
Sat May 15 04:21:15 UTC 2021

Dear Jim,

I see your problem, and I think that the replies you have got so far are being helpful in clarifying this matter. Thinking about how to make sense of your passage in the light of other occurrences of kuñcikā in a yogic context (sorry in advance for stating things that may seem just obvious to you), I’m wondering whether the use of haṭhāt in your passage could refer to the quintessentially/necessarily forceful nature of utkrānti, even if one has the ‘key’ that opens the doors (keeping in mind the remarks by Matthew Kapstein etc.). As you know (better than me, as I am using your own writings as a reference!), the word kuñcikā is sometimes used in Sanskrit (and, I add, Old Javanese) texts in connection with practices of drawing up (utkrānti) the kuṇḍalinī along the central subtle channel of the body (some sort of ‘yogic suicide’), as well as practices involving breath control, and sometimes the retention and violent expulsion of the breath (kuñcikā would refer to the retention in some Old Javanese texts, which mention the kuñci rahasya or ‘secret key’ through which one may close rather than open the doors). See, e.g., Kubjikāmatatantra 8.73 (kuñcikodghāṭayed bilam), 23.114 (eṣu sthāne ’rgalaṃ yojya kuñcikordhvaṃ niyojayet; this seems to imply the same metaphor: if my understanding is correct, one has to impel the kuñickā upwards when the orifices are locked with the bolts, meaning one has to break them open by way of the ‘key’/kuñcikā?), and the related passages that yourself discuss in Mallinson 2007:21 and 177, notes 79–80. It seems interesting that the Old Javanese texts seem to use kuñcikā in the context of closing the doors and then breaking them open, and I’m wondering whether this represents some alternative or perhaps even earlier trend of thought/practice.

Best,

Andrea