[INDOLOGY] Help with a simile

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat May 15 03:40:10 UTC 2021

Yes, it is the verbs which are important here. उद्घाटन and  विभेदन are what
are being compared.

भेदन , विभेदन is Kundalinee saadhanaa related term . There is a भेदन ,
विभेदन  of each chakra. This is a process of revealing/unfolding each of
these entities/aspects that are already existing but closed to one's own
experience, to one's own experience. The procedures for  भेदन , विभेदन of
each chakra are to be executed under the Guru's guidance.

Hatha here refers to (the courage/perseverance for ) overcoming the
hesitation/fear or fearlike state experienced during the moment of  भेदन ,
विभेदन.

There is a skill and insistence involved in turning the key through the
levers inside the lock, while groping for the levers and waiting for the
moment of the notches of the key fitting the levers and turning immediately
once that matching/fitting is felt with the optimum amount of force and
skill.

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 5:33 AM Zoe Slatoff via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Jim,
>
> I was just looking at this verse recently when considering different
> definitions of haṭha and I wonder whether perhaps the verbs are the issue
> rather than the simile? I’m sure you probably know more about this than I
> do, but it seems to me that once the kuṇḍalinī is awakened (which I know
> can take some force) it should actually arise quite easily like a key
> unlocks a door?
>
> Best wishes,
> Zoë
>
> On May 14, 2021, at 4:45 PM, James Mallinson <jm63 at soas.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I wonder if anybody can help me understand a simile in a *haṭhayoga* text
> I’m editing, the *Vivekamārtaṇḍa*. Verse 34 reads:
>
> udghāṭayet kapāṭaṃ tu yathā kuñcikayā haṭhāt |
> kuṇḍalinyā tathā yogī mokṣadvāraṃ vibhedayet ||
>
> My incomplete translation is as follows: “The yogi should use Kuṇḍalinī to
> break open the doorway to liberation in the same way that one might use a
> *kuñcikā* to force open a *kapāṭa*.” I had been translating *kuñcikā* as
> “key” and *kapāṭa* as “door”, but this isn’t altogether satisfactory. A
> key does not force a door to open. But I am unable to think of what this
> *kuñcikā* and *kapāṭa* might be. I am aware that a *kapāṭa* is usually a
> double door (I think of saloon doors in cowboy films) but what then is the
> *kuñcikā*? Of course it is quite possible that it is just a rather sloppy
> simile.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jim

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director, Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.