Sardulavikridita metrics

Paul Kiparsky kiparsky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Mon May 18 18:23:47 UTC 2009

On May 17, 2009, at 7:44 PM, Arlo Griffiths wrote:

> It is also important to note that there seems to be a strong
> tendency for placement of a ceasura after the fourth gaṇa.

Right, after the fourth foot, which here happens to coincide with a
gaṇa.  The gaṇas of the trika system provide convenient mnemonics
for the sequences of long and short syllables in a meter, but they
are irrelevant to the rhythm of a line, to its foot structure, and to
the placement of the caesura.  These things are however revealed by
formal metrical analysis, and, remarkably, they are also observed in
the traditional chanting pattern.

> The maṅgala in Śrīdhara's Karmapañjikā, whose critical edition
> is currently being prepared by Dr. S. Sumant (Pune) and myself,
> also presents an unexpected number of Śārdūlavikrīḍita pādas:
> just two of them, whereafter the verse-form seems to become
> something that is meant to be Sragdharā. I would be grateful
> references to similarly (un)structured maṅgalas. I paste below the
> text of Śrīdhara's maṅgala as we currently suppose it must be
> edited.

The alternation of Śārdūlavikrīḍita with Sragdharā makes sense
because they have structural affinities.  Śārdūlavikrīḍita has
seven rising feet, falling into two hemistichs divided by a caesura.
The first hemistich has four tetramoraic feet  (with anacrusis), the
second has three pentamoraic feet (with catalexis).  Mandākrāntā
and Chitralekhā have the same 4:3 pattern of tetramoraic and
pentamoraic feet, only the feet are falling rather than rising.
Sragdharā is similar except that it has an extra foot in the first
hemistich (actually a problem for Deo's analysis, as she points out).

Paul Kiparsky