Syntax of Dative

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 15 23:49:31 UTC 2009

Dear Madhav,
Whether shift or variation, assuming you have seen Delbrück Altindische
Syntax, Speyer Sanskrit Syntax and Speyer Vedic Syntax, I think that the
following two publications might be useful (even though they focus on the
Vedic dative they refer to cases beyond Vedic as well):
E.W. Hopkins The Vedic Dative Reconsidered in Transactions and Proc. of the
Am. Phil. Ass. vol. 37 (1937):  87-120;
J. Gonda The Unity of the Vedic Dative (with ref. to discussions by
Debrunner, Whitney, Renou etc.) repr. in Selected Studies vol. on
Indo-European Linguistics, 141ff.
Also useful may be Oberlies' Grammar of Epic Sanskrit p. 331f and
Brockington The Sanskrit Epics p. 87f.
The main shift may have been not so much in the use of the dative but in the
interpretation of dhiimahi as form of dhii (cf. Whitney's misplaced judgment
in his Roots ... p. 83 which nevertheless captures the shift involved: "The
form dhiimahi belongs here [under dhii/diidhii] only as thus used later,
with a false apprehension of its proper meaning.")
Jan

--
Prof. Dr. Jan E.M. Houben,
Directeur d Etudes « Sources et Histoire de la Tradition Sanskrite »
JEMHouben at gmail.com
www.jyotistoma.nl