Syntax of Dative

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Fri May 15 17:35:46 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues

I am looking for some scholarly discussion on the use of datives with verbs like vidmahe and dhīmahi found in the late Gāyatrīs as found in texts like the Taittirīiya Araṇyaka, e.g.  तत्पुरुषाय विद्महे महादेवाय धीमहि / तन्नो रुद्रः प्रचोदयात् //  The use of dative in these late Gāyatrīs contrasts with the accusative in the old Gāyatrī : तत् सवितुर्वरेण्यं भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि.  I am looking for any scholarly discussion of this shift (?).  Didn't see anything in Speyer/Speijer.  Best,

Madhav M. Deshpande