e-Monier Williams Dictionary for Macs

Richard MAHONEY rbm49 at EXT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Sat Jan 29 20:28:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 17:20 +0000, Elizabeth De Michelis wrote:

> I have tried installing some e-versions of the Monier Williams Sanskrit
> dictionary on my computer, but they were for PCs and as I am a Mac-only
> user I found they were not compatible with my Mac.

[snip]

> Would any of you be able to suggest:

[snip]

> 2) Whether Mac-compatible e-versions of the MW exist, and how to get hold
> of them if they do.

I'd recommend the DICT (http://www.dict.org/links.html) version at:

 http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney/mw_dict/mw_dict.html

To use it under Mac OSX you will need to install DICTatoro:

 http://www.ropersonline.com/dict/

I flagged this version some while back:

 http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney/mw_dict/mw_DICT_notify

The DICT version should be useful for those using Mac OSX, or a UNIX or
UNIX-like system. It enables one to search for a number of head words at
the same time using various strategies:

Strategies available:
 exact      Match headwords exactly
 prefix     Match prefixes
 substring  Match substring occurring anywhere in a headword
 suffix     Match suffixes
 re         POSIX 1003.2 (modern) regular expressions
 regexp     Old (basic) regular expressions
 soundex    Match using SOUNDEX algorithm
 lev        Match headwords within Levenshtein distance one
 word       Match separate words within headwords

Best regards,

 Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | www: homepages.comnet.net.nz/~r-mahoney
Littledene      | phone/fax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at comnet.net.nz