increasinggreed/desires like salt water

Stefan Baums baums at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Dec 1 02:24:36 UTC 2003

> PS: on the principle that it is better to teach a man to fish
> than to feed him, how would one go about searching for proverbs
> like this?

Böhtlingk’s Indische Sprüche (plus August Blau’s index in
Abhandlungen für die Kunde des Morgenlandes IX.4) and Sternbach’s
Mahā‐subhāṣita‐saṁgraha (to the extent available, i.e., a through
gī) can help.  At least they served me well in a similar
situation, tracking down the Sanskrit inscription on Rasmus Rask’s
gravestone; full report here:

   http://staff.washington.edu/baums/rask/

It still takes a lot of digging, though.

Best wishes,
Stefan

PS.  What are “Jacob’s three books”?

--