rabari

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Tue Jul 30 02:09:22 UTC 2002

A year ago last February we heard about the work of Judy Frater in Kutcch.
She set up a rabari womens craft project there and also helped with the Bhuj
earthquake.  I just located the post I sent about her to H-Asia. Here is the
contact information I had at that time:

Kala Raksha Trust
Sumrasar Sheikh, ta. Bhuj, Kutch 370001
tel/fax 02898 77238  email: kalaraks at ad1.vsnl.net.in /
judyf at ad1.vsnl.net.in

There is also notice of this NGO on the following website:
http://www.indiancanvas.com/Exhibition_files/archive/artwatch2.htm
under the subheader, "Back to the roots".
"Gujarati speaking Ms Frater has lived among the Rabaris of Kutch for the
last 25 years. After having written an illustrated book on their
embroideries, The Threads of Tradition, she set up Kala Raksha in 1990 with
20 Rabari women to create a market for their handiwork and thus strengthen
their crafts tradition. Their voluntary group now works with 600 craftswomen
in Sumrasar Sheikh and six other villages in the Bhuj-Banni area."

Several other dated websites can  be obtained by typing into google the
following:
Sumrasar Sheikh, Bhuj, Kutch

Joanna Kirkpatrick