"Bagger Vance" & Doniger on the Gita

Aditya, the Cheerful HIndu Skeptic aditya2 at MEDIAONE.NET
Thu Mar 15 13:42:48 UTC 2001

Bhadraiah Mallampalli <vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM> has written as follows:

>kriSna played a dual role in mahAbhArata as a strategist and pacifist. On
>one hand he kept preparing pANDavAs for the battle, but when he was sent as
>an ambassador he said even five villages are ok for them. His role as a
>pacifist was improperly ignored.
Not enough information is available to say that  the demand for 5 villages
was reconciliatory and whether it was  ignored properly or improperly
without knowing the names and sizes of the villages and the total number of
villages and their sizes that would have been left for Kauravas. There is no
mention in Mahabharat  about any other conditions attached to this offer.
We have go by only what is disclosed by the Vyas since Mahabharat  is such a
marathon hodge podge of so many stories.
---
Yours sincerely,
Aditya Mishra
Please note my new Primary email: aditya at cheerful.com
Primary homepage: http://www.pompano.net/~aditya
ICQ # 1131674 Phone #: (954)746-0442  Fax # (209)315-8571
Random thought of the day:
        We'll keep repeating history until we get a passing grade.