Asian Religions and Modern Science

robert b langston langstonrob at JUNO.COM
Sun Nov 15 15:06:58 UTC 1998

The first thing that comes to my mind is the turn of the century notions
of  "spirituality" mixed with the notions of "progress", or "modernism",
starting with the World Parliament of Religions at the Chicago Columbian
Exposition. Also the Spiritualist Movement of that time, or New Age
pioneers like Annie Beasant, Madame Blavatsky, Rudolph Steiner. Around
the same time you find titles like the "Holy Science" by Swami Sri
Yukteswar and the "Science of Religion" by Paramahansa Yogananda. I would
guess indologists might see this as either a mix of saints and charlatans
, or perhaps charlatans all..... As an artist, though, I tend to
appreciate these early attempts to put science and religion on the same
level. At the same time, I believe that Professor Gupta's point should be
well taken.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Maharishi University in Fairfield,
Iowa has a lot of resources on your topic.

Best Regards,
Robert